Wednesday 5 December 2018

DIY Magazine's NEU Tour 2018 - Leeds @ Headrow House | TALKBOY, PEAKES, CARO | Gig Review 29.11.18

Hello everyone!

Today I have for you three new awesome bands from Leeds that I'm so excited to be writing about.

Leeds has a great scene for live music with some incredible venues of all shapes and sizes. It's thanks to these venues that I connected with the music I did when I was younger; if I hadn't have been going to The Cockpit at least once a month to see of my favourite alternative rock bands play, I would not be where I am today. It's thanks to Leeds' live music scene that music became such an integral part of my life and clearly the right industry for me to go into. Now I'm home I can't wait to explore Leeds' scene more and help more of Leeds' music be heard.

That's why I am so happy to report that when DIY Magazine's Do It Yourself NEU Tour had its final panels and gig in Leeds last week, three extraordinary local bands stepped up and delivered some amazing sets. Each with their own unique sound, mesmerising set and exciting future, here is an introduction to Talkboy, Peakes and last but in no way least, Caro.

REVIEW

TALKBOY



This indie sextet kicked off the show with their fun, lively and fantastic original tracks. There was a lot going on, six people on a small stage can do that, but they suited it. Their music has so much energy; Talkboy were clearly having a lot of fun on stage and it transcended to the crowd. They were fully committed to the show and entertaining us all. They were confident and talented musicians, all the elements of their sound coming together so well. The keys, guitars and drums not drowning each other out, but uniting to make colourful melodies and an identity that is going to set them apart.




Lead singers, Katie and Calum, both had such strong voices and they complimented each other so well, making a really interesting duet. I was also so happy to listen to their lyrics, which were more poignant and narrative then I anticipated from a young band. Their new single Over and Under is a fantastic example of their songwriting ability and everything this spirited group are cable of. On the rockier side of indie, but animated, fun and dynamic, Talkboy will be a really interesting one to watch. I wish them the very best of luck.


PEAKES


Next up came synth-pop trio, Peakes, who immediately made a big impression upon me. Their soothing and enchanting tracks had the whole crowd captivated from the get go. After the lively performance we had just witnessed from Talkboy, this was a total change of pace, but their front woman Molly had such a mesmerising voice. Their music had all of us in the audience happily transported to another place and time where only Peakes existed. Molly's lovely vocals were accompanied by perfectly atmospheric drum playing from Pete and Maxwell's ingenious keys, their tracks were fantastically composed. Their performance really was spell-binding, at times I forgot about everyone else in the room and the music was the only thing on my mind.





Their tracks Space and Pray For You were shiver-inducing and etherial, Molly's voice being both feather-like and powerful when she needed it to be. They also played such a beautiful cover of Kate Bush's track Running Up That Hill which is definitely one of my favourite new tracks this month, they made it totally their own and it was so polished. I honestly thought these guys were incredible, they produce the most dreamy melodies. Their music is perfect should you need a quick little bit of escapism; put your headphones in and turn the volume up, let yourself float away with Peakes.


CARO



To close the show came the INCREDIBLE Caro. I cannot underplay how impressed I was with these guys, their music completely kicks you on your arse, you cannot deny how good they are. They were so talented, such an exhilarating sound and just so cool. Their music I would class as alternative indie/rock but it was eccentric, wacky and energetic. When they started a track you weren't quite sure where it would go but you were in for a hell of a ride; each song is a rollercoaster. I was also in awe of their completely original lyrics, both poetic and quirky in equal measure. In their single Closet Lunatic, frontman Adam sings "Underneath your goody two-shoes there's a dirty pair of socks that you're never gonna wash no" I love it.




To top it off they were also fantastic showmen, they put on such a performance and were having so much fun dancing around the stage. They were so entertaining and I can only imagine in a bigger venue with a bigger crowd the whole room would be alive, it was so much fun. Their track Eyes On The Ground invites you to dance; the way Adam and Andy's riffs jump around while Bryn keeps the beat on the drums, its so hard to sit still. Their tracks are very cleverly composed and it gives Caro such an unmistakable identity. Adam has a great stage presence as well, he's an amazing front man and you can see how passionate he is when he's on stage. I could not recommend seeing them more, and I'd say look out for them but I think soon enough it's going to be hard to ignore them, they're going to be huge! I seriously dare you not to like these guys.

Thank you to DIY Magazine for putting on this event. The panels during the afternoon featured prominent speakers from Leeds' own music scene and gave great advice for anyone looking to get into the music industry. As you can see the show that evening was also such a success and curated so well. Thank you DIY and to Headrow House for hosting the event.

I hope you all enjoyed this post and definitely check out these bands, so much talent and if you like in or around Leeds, I implore you to try catch these guys. That's all from me today but I hope you all enjoyed this post, see you soon!

Holly


Talkboy:
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Youtube

Peakes:
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Youtube

Caro:
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Youtube

Me:
Twitter
Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment